Generic drug of the therapeutic class: Ophthalmology
active ingredients: Lyophilizate:, Acetazolamide
laboratory: Sanofi-Aventis France
Powder for parenteral use
Box of 25 vials of lyophilisate 500 mg
- Attack treatment of high ocular hypertonia.
- Treatment of certain metabolic alkaloses, especially during decompensation of chronic respiratory insufficiencies, requiring the use of mechanical ventilation.
Dosage DIAMOX 500 mg Powder for parenteral use Box of 25 vials of lyophilisate 500 mg
- Adult: the usual dosage is 1 to 2 g per day, ie 2 to 4 vials of 500 mg / day.
- Child over 6 years: 5 to 10 mg / kg / day.
Administration mode :
- slow intravenous injection or infusion tubing.
- The intramuscular route may possibly be used.
RESERVED FOR ADULTS AND CHILDREN OVER 6 YEARS OLD.
This medicine is contraindicated in the following situations:
- hypersensitivity to acetazolamide,
- severe hepatic, renal or adrenal insufficiency,
- intolerance to sulphonamides,
- history of renal colic.
NOT RECOMMENDED :
This drug is generally not recommended during pregnancy and lactation:
- pregnancy: studies in animals have shown a teratogenic effect. In clinical practice, the use of acetazolamide sodium in a limited number of pregnancies has not revealed any particular malformative or foetotoxic effect to date. However, further studies are needed to assess the consequences of exposure during pregnancy. Given the indication and the absence of alternatives, intravenous acetazolamide may be used, if necessary, during pregnancy.
- breastfeeding: given the passage of acetazolamide in milk, breastfeeding is not recommended.
Diamox side effects
- Disruption of carbohydrate metabolism, diabetes.
- Hyperuricemia with acute gout attack.
- Hypokalemia with metabolic acidosis.
- Disorders of calcium metabolism, renal lithiasis.
- Disturbance of ammonia metabolism, hepatic coma in cirrhotic (see contraindications).
- Transient myopia.
- Rare: dysthyroidism, asthenia, somnolence, gastrointestinal disorders, dysesthesia that can be corrected by adding a potassium salt.
- Exceptionally, hypersensitivity reactions mainly to cutaneous rash and fever, isolated cases of anaphylactic shock that can be fatal, hematological accidents (thrombocytopenic purpura, agranulocytosis, medullary aplasia), probably by sensitization to sulphonamides.
- Intramuscular injection can be painful.